Friday

The Meaning of Work

One of our students reflects on her time in Mexico and contemplates "the meaning of work."
     I just finished my interview with the woman from Mexico City, and our conversation revolved predominantly on what I've gathered most from this trip: the meaning of work.
     The meaning of work, as I learned in undergrad, is about vocation or calling.  It's about finding a higher purpose or meaning in your work, whether that means [something] religious, something you're passionate about, something challenging, something enlightening, or even something that facilitates your calling/vocation.
     I've struggled with finding both a definition for and an actual meaning in my work.  What work can I do that is both meaningful and something that reaches out to me?  Is reaching out to me earning money or giving back?  Should I be a social worker or a lawyer who makes money and is able to donate money?  Which is the greater good while also making me reach my calling?
     While here, we've seen several factories with employees, as well as farms, maids who cook and clean for us, and waiters at various restaurants we've visited.
     And I have to wonder at each place, with each interaction, what sort of higher purpose have they found?  How does going through security every day, with constant video surveillance and only one exit, feed into your meaning or purpose?
     How does picking cucumbers by hand in the Mexican sun translate to vocation or calling?
     Maybe, for some, the opportunity to earn a living wage or the opportunity to provide for your family is enough.
     But sewing a particular button on a particular part of a shirt all day, every day, in the way that others tell you to do it so it's the quickest... I don't know.  There's no higher thought process or intellectual capability involved.  Sure, some equipment is dangerous, but for the most part, the job is about doing something that's boiled down to such a science that the efficiencies would make even Henry Ford sick.
     My point being, it's important to note that we are talking about whether we would ever bring operations to Mexico versus China.  What I wonder is, if I did, would (or could) I translate a living wage and meaningful work for my employees?
     Perhaps I should just crack open a beer and head to the jungle with the hammocks and the trees.
-Sital
In the coming days, I'll be posting more from our trips to the many places she mentioned above. Photos, videos, and commentary from other students will help paint a more detailed picture of some of the businesses we've visited, and I encourage you to develop your own opinion about it all.  One of the questions raised throughout the class has been, "Would you open a business in Mexico?"  Take into consideration the benefits as well as the risks of moving operations here, but also think about what values would be important to you, just as Sital has.

No comments:

Post a Comment