Wednesday

An Afternoon of Bullfighting by Christopher Lawerence


January 1st was a day that I will always remember.  A few of my classmates and I decided we wanted to experience a bullfight firsthand.  At 4 p.m., the first bull was released and the fights began.  


Throughout the course of the night, there were 6 bulls that entered the ring. Ultimately, all 6 bulls were killed and taken out of the ring by two horses. There were a few events, however, that changed my whole mindset on bullfighting. I learned that the matadors work together to take the bull down, and that each matador tries to appease the judge who sits atop the arena.  Secondly, I saw several men from Central America attempt to grab a bull as it was running at them. This event is a Portuguese tradition called the “pega.”


In doing this, the men stand in a single file line and attempt to pile on top of the bull in order to stop it.  At this particular fight, a few of the men failed to stop the bull and ended up being severely injured.  This brings me to my final lesson.  These men put themselves in harm’s way just to appeal to a crowd and to please a single judge.  I was astonished to see so many young children in attendance that were cheering these men on.  After going to the fight, I learned that the Mexican culture is in favor of daring events, but they also love to see their countrymen succeed.  Despite such a learning experience, I do not think I can ever sit through a bullfight again. However, it was a cultural experience I will never forget!


No comments:

Post a Comment